All musky anglers know that a right reel determines how well you do on the water. Muskies are known as fish of 10,000 casts. Therefore, you need a special kind of reel to handle this abuse. In this article, you will find musky reels that are on the top of their game as they have better line capacity, durability, and strength than a conventional reel.
Things to Consider Before Buying
1. Line Weight:
- A line that weighs under 25 pounds is more vulnerable to breakage as an average musky weighs around 15 to 36 pounds.
- Therefore, a 150 yards long line with 80 pounds weight is considered ideal.
2. Gear Ratio:
Generally, gear ratios range from 4:6:1 to 8:1:1. The first digit of the ratio shows the number of rotations made by spool in a full turn of the reel’s handle.
- Reel with lower gear ratio will retrieve at a slower rate but with a higher power of torque.
- When catching musky, a reel that provides strength and precision is better than the one that will retrieve quickly.
- The ideal gear ratio range for catching musky is 5:1 to 5:7:1.
3. The Bearing materials:
Ball bearings are present in reels. They help in the prevention of friction and are built either from stainless steel or ceramic.
- Stainless steel – these bearings are more common than ceramic. They are also considered more durable and stronger. The only drawback it has is that they are not resistant to corrosion.
- Ceramic – they are lighter in weight. This feature makes the reel more comfortable to work with.
4. The housing, spools, and frames
Housing, spools, and frames all these come in two different materials, graphite and aluminum.
- Housing – Graphite makes the housing corrosion resistant. But aluminum housing is stronger.
- Spools – aluminum is commonly used in its construction, which makes them lighter and faster at the same time.
- Frames – Aluminum frames are more popular for catching muskies, but graphite frames are durable and cheap.
Top 8 Best Musky Reel
|Shimano Tranx TRX500PG|
☞Massive cranking power
|Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast T2 BST50|
☞Carbon matrix drag system
☞7 stainless steel bearings
|Shimano Calcutta D CT400D|
☞Winn grip handles
☞Ultimate Tournament carbon drag
|KastKing Rover 70|
|Okuma Coldwater 350 Low Profile Reel<>/a>|
☞Advanced line counter technology
|Goture Ares Max Baitcasting Reel|
☞High gear ratio
☞Dual brake system
|Daiwa Saltist Levelwind Reell|
☞Max Drag of 15.4 lbs
1. Shimano Tranx TRX500PG
- Revolutionary – the design and shape are such that they provide comfort and capacity.
- Durable – made with metal frames with perfect alignment and uses latest anodizing plating.
- Massive cranking power – it is due to the powerful x-ship and HEG technologies.
- Diversity – present in High gear and power gear.
The innovative design and shape of this Tranx500 say all about its feature. The design is made in such a way that it provides comfort in the same way a low profile musky reels provide. Also, it contains the reel capacity of a conventional reel. With both these features combined, it becomes the best baitcasting reel for the money.
Because of the powerful HEG technology of this Shimano musky rods, it provides smooth effortless retrieve. Also, it is made of metal frames that provide durability and make sure that the moving parts remain in perfect alignment. It also comes with a left-handed fishing pole.
It also contains some other technologies like x-ship and VBS. X-ship provides improved durability whereas VBS provides the centrifugal force. This diverse musky reel offers high-gear and power-gear models. This diverse variety of models covers a wide range of applications.
Buyers are satisfied with this musky reel’s smooth casting and durable design.
2. Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast T2 BST50
- Durability – it is constructed with a sturdy aluminum frame and side plate.
- Drag mechanism – it allows easy adjustments even under heavy loads.
- Dura gear – heavy-duty gear provides increased fighting power.
- Bearings – it has 7 stainless steel bearings and one roller bearing.
- Carbon matrix drag system – this system provides extreme drag pressures combines with smoothness.
It contains all the necessary features one needs in muskie fishing reels. It has a gear ratio of 4:9:1, which makes it both smooth and easy to handle.
The alloy frame construction is light in weight and corrosion-resistant. This musky reel not only provides durability but also a premium experience to its users. The heavy-duty gear provides extended gear life to the reel. It also contains 7-steel bearings and one rounded bearing in it.
Because of its smooth function, it is considered as the best beginner bait caster.
One of the customers said that “I bought it specifically for the musky fishing and was very pleased with its performance.”
3. Shimano Calcutta D CT400D
- New design – it is suitable for both freshwater and saltwater anglers.
- Cranking power – it has rigidity and durability to face all the seasons.
- Compact body – it is designed in such a way that it is comfortable in the hands.
- Water type – both freshwater and saltwater.
This best reel for muskie fishing by Shimano is famous because of its quality. This new design has an innovative rounded wheel form. It has a sturdy and durable design that is corrosion-resistant. Shimano has the best bass rod and reel for the money which you can use in both fresh and saltwater.
Both x-drag and x-ship technology are present in them. These technologies provide better fish-fighting force and free-spooling, respectively. Also, this spinning reel with a bait clicker has a better ergonomic design.
Among good fishing reels, it is smoothest in its operation and well worth your money.
4. Daiwa LEXA-WN400PWR-P – Best Musky Reel
- Winn grip handles – it offers more support and comfort and has weight reducing cut-outs.
- Construction – it is made from durable aluminum alloy frame and side plates.
- Gear ratio – it has the perfect 5:1:1 gear ratio.
- Water type – both freshwater and saltwater.
Aluminum alloy is used in the manufacturing of this musky reel. It provides the reel durability. This high performing reel works exceptionally well in both freshwater and saltwater. It has the best casting reel because you will not face any friction during retrieving.
It has a carbon drag of approximately 25 pounds. Also, it has an ergonomic design. They have special weight-reducing cut-outs on them. Its weight is only 16.2 ounces, which is easy to handle. You can get this best baitcasting reel under 200.
Customers loved this musky reel because of its comfortable design, value for money, and lightweight.
5. KastKing Rover 70
- Bulletproof – it is reinforced with thick anodized aluminum side plates.
- Powerful – it has a carbon fiber drag system that offers 30 pounds of smooth drag.
- Water-type – it can be used in both saltwater and freshwater.
- Durability – they are built to last for a very long time.
- Casting – it has super smooth casting and retrieval.
The manufacturing of this musky reel is from the reinforced anodized aluminum. Not only this reel is durable, but also it is bulletproof. This Kast King Rover has a stainless-steel rod and patented metal idle gear, which helps in the prevention of corrosion.
Its drag technology is capable enough to provide strength and power to the reel. This drag ranges from 15 to 30 pounds. For the easier and smooth cranking, it has an oversized T-knob. This handle provides a non-slip grip and maximum control.
Lastly, it has a clicker line out alarm and a centrifugal system. Both these features help in the spreading of equal pressure on a single cast. You can get all these features of the best spinning reel under 150 dollars.
The bait cast reel reviews show that the people loved this product and are extremely satisfied with it.
6. Okuma Coldwater 350 Low Profile Reel
- Ergo grip – it has a power grip handle that is suitable for every salmon fishing technique.
- Advanced line counter technology – the mechanical line counter is present and it measures in feet and CVT.
- Ergonomic design – this design fits comfortably in hands.
- Drag system – it has 25 pounds maximum drag output power.
- Different retrieve – available in both right-handed and left-handed retrieve.
This best musky reel from Okuma has various distinct features. All these features make this product exceptional. The body of this reel has an ergonomic design.
The reel is manufacture from an aluminum. It provides strength and stability to the product. Also, its ergo grip handles are specially designed. This design makes this reel suitable for all types of fishing.
Aluminum not only makes this reel light in weight but also it provides resistance against corrosion. It contains a carbonite drag system that can exert maximum power output of 25 pounds. It has right-handed and left-hand baitcast combo.
It is the best baitcaster for the money. Because of its ergonomic design, it is considered best for beginners.
7. Goture Ares Max Baitcasting Reel
- High gear ratio – these are best for techniques and provides fast retrieval.
- Dual brake system – one is a magnetic brake while the other is the centrifugal brake.
- Extended crank system – the extended aluminum handle gives enough leverage to pull out the fish.
- Smooth bearings – the bearings are friction-free and noise-free.
- Fast retrieval – it has smooth high-speed line retrieval.
This musky reel has a gear ratio of 7:1:1. This ratio is typically very large and is really beneficial for fast retrieval of line. Unlike others, it includes a dual brake system. One of them is a magnetic brake which is situated outside the cap. This brake is easy to adjust. Whereas, the second type of brake is known as a centrifugal brake. This brake is located inside the cap this brake is really helpful for beginners.
This reel is built from Nylon 66 which is a highly durable material. It also has non-slip handles. These handles are really useful as they avoid moisture and sweat. The casting reels have graphite frame and side plates.
The smooth retrieval makes sure that it performs its function without any friction. This baitcasting reel contains 7-stainless-steel bearing and 1 anti-reverse bearing. This unique design prevents fatigue and provides comfort.
This is the best spinning reel for the money. It is made of high-quality materials.
8. Daiwa Saltist Levelwind Reel
- Line capacity – it has variable line capacity.
- Maximum drag – it has a maximum output drag of 15.4 pounds.
- Construction – it is built from the sturdy aluminum frame.
- Bearings – it has four corrosion-resistant bearings and one roller bearing.
- Water-type – it is ideal for both saltwater and freshwater.
Daiwa uses aluminum for the construction of its musky reel. The materials used for manufacturing has both durability and strength. This reel can be used in diverse water types because of its resistance to corrosion.
It also has a smooth multi-disc drag which provides power and strength.
It is the best budget baitcaster, it contains all the features in a suitable amount.
From Buying Guide to the list of Best Musky Reels we have mentioned almost everything. We hope that this article will help you to find your desired product.
Make sure to check our HOME PAGE.
1. What is musky fishing?
Musky are the species of larger freshwater fishes. These fishes are present in lakes and rivers of North America.
2. How long should a musky rod be?
Generally, the musky rod ranges from 7.5 to 9 feet in length.
3. What line capacity you need for musky reel?
During musky fishing, you need a line ranges in between 65 to 100 pounds.